Wednesday, June 30, 2010

HOFFMAN'S JOURNEY GETTING LOTS OF ATTENTION AT SENATORS CAMP

Mike Hoffman has been an underdog his entire career. But even if he is long shot to make the National Hockey League’s Ottawa Senators this season, he will accept it.

"If I'm not ready to make that jump (up to the National Hockey League), I don't want to make that jump and just be sitting on the bench or not playing," said Hoffman to NHL.com.

"I've got to get bigger and stronger, put on some weight and battle more," admitted Hoffman, who is more than willing to start his pro career in the American Hockey League with the Binghamton Senators.

The now-former Saint John Sea Dog standout is attending the Senators’ Development Camp for the second straight year after being selected by the club with the 130th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

But Hoffman went undrafted his first time around, which allowed him to rip up the QMJHL in 2008-09 with the league champion Drummondville Voltigeurs.

“I was a late bloomer growing up, and I didn't develop as quickly as most guys did, so it just took me a little time to catch up to them," said Hoffman to the Ottawa Citizen, one of 30 players attending the Senators' development camp, that runs through Friday.

"Maybe if I got picked in my actual draft year, maybe it would have only been late in the seventh round," he said. "But waiting and coming back, and having another good year as a 19-year-old (in 2008-09) helped out."

With 46 goals last season, the Kitchener native broke Saint John’s single season goal record. He added 39 assists in his 56 regular season games.

"That's my job on the ice, that's what I have to do," Hoffman said when asked about the offensive numbers he produced in his final two seasons of junior hockey. "I'm a points guy and I have to put the puck in the net. If I'm not doing that, I'm not on my game ... That's my type of game and if I'm going to succeed in the future at the professional level, that's what I'm going to do."

His remarkable and unique story is getting a lot of attention at Senators camp. Not drafted into the Ontario Hockey League, Hoffman was signed by the Gatineau Olympiques and eventually picked up by Drummondville. He was then an integral part of a blockbuster deal that saw him end up in Saint John last year. With some hard times behind him, Hoffman has become a legitimate NHL prospect.

"Tremendous offensive talent. Tremendous offensive upside," said Pierre Dorion, the Senators' director of player personnel. "He really snaps the puck really hard and has the ability to score, and he's got NHL speed. He's just got to compete more on a consistent basis."

The 20-year is not projected to make the Sens this year.

The Senators are hosting a five-on-five scrimmage tonight at the Bell Sensplex beginning at 7:30 ADT. Hoffman will play on Team Black with Bobby Butler, Mike Clemente (G), Corey Cowick, Eric Gryba, Taylor Nelson (G), Jim O’Brien, Michael Sdao, Marcus Sorensen, Mark Stone, Shawn Szydowski, Chris Wideman, and Patrick Wiercioch.

No comments:

Post a Comment