Friday, September 17, 2010

THOMAS ADVANCES TO MAIN CAMP

Saint John Sea Dogs captain Mike Thomas has been invited to the Edmonton Oilers’ main Training Camp. The New Maryland, New Brunswick native has been attending Oilers rookie camp on a free agent invite over the past week.

According to several reports, Thomas has been very impressive at the Penticton Young Stars Tournament for the Oilers rookies.

"I just want to play my game," Thomas said from his hotel room in Edmonton to The Daily Gleaner last week. "I know why I'm here; because of what I've done in past and what I did last season, and I want to keep my physical presence up and show them what I can do."

The Saint John captain recorded nine goals and 11 assists in 51 regular season games last year in what was a suspension filled season for the winger. In the playoffs, he added four goals and three assists.

630 CHED in Edmonton reports that Thomas will play on Team B on a line with Curtis Hamilton and Brad Moran.

“Moran is buried even further down the lineup than (Alexandre) Giroux, which implies to me that he's starting from well back in the battle for the last roster spot,” writes the Oilers blog The Copper and Blue. “That said, this is a pretty talented group compared to some of the other lower lines, and Mike Thomas is fighting for a contract. These guys could look good together.”

Thomas is eligible to return to Saint John for an overage season if he is not signed by the Oilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment