Monday, March 28, 2011

FULLERTON, UNB WIN UNIVERSITY CUP

FREDERICTON – Travis Fullerton made 28 saves to help the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds win the Canadian Interuniversity Sport national championship last night on home ice. It is Fullerton’s second Cavendish Farms University Cup and the school’s third in five years.

The former Saint John Sea Dog was outstanding in goal, earning his second straight shutout of the tournament in the Varsity Reds’ 4-0 victory over the McGill Redmen. His reputation as a big game goaltender was proven once again as the netminder made several incredible stops to keep momentum going in UNB’s favour.

After allowing only one-goal in three tournament games, fans chanted Fullerton’s name during some of the trophy presentations. When the Riverview native was named to the tournament all-star team, his name was chanted for a good 20 seconds.

From the Daily Gleaner:

"I felt good from the opening puck in Game 1," he said. "I didn't know I had let in one goal all tournament. We did a great job all tournament. This year is the only year I felt really, really comfortable here. All year I felt really good. I played some of my best games of the year here. I don't know if you can compare the championships, but to win it in front of the home fans is unbelievable.

"This is one of my top seasons for sure," Fullerton said. "We didn't get the result we wanted last year and everybody came back focused this year. For sure I wanted to play my best hockey and I think I did."
Former St. John’s Fog Devil Luke Gallant was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player. He netted the game winner in Sunday’s game while Daine Todd scored a pair and another former Fog Devil, Matt Fillier, also scored.

CIS top-scorer and ex-Sea Dog Alexandre Picard-Hooper couldn’t break through the wall of Fullerton and the UNB defense. Picard took a penalty late in the third period with the game already out of reach at that point.

UNB hosts the University Cup again next season at the Aitken Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment