Tuesday, January 22, 2013

RECAP: Eagles Win. Dogs Lose 2-1.

FINAL: Saint John 1, Cape Breton 2

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

Saint John travelled to Centre 200 to take on the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles on Tuesday evening as fans braved the storm and icy roads to watch the teams battle it out.

Alex Fournier took the net for Saint John while David Honzik stood in net for Cape Breton.

Cape Breton kicked off the penalties for the night when Nick Marois took an unfortunate tripping call at 5:59. It was unfortunate for them because Pierre Durepos scored and put the Sea Dogs up on the board, just 17 seconds into the penalty. Jakub Izacky and Olivier LeBlanc assisted on that goal.

Oliver Cooper and Raphael Corriveau dropped the globes at 14:38, resulting in each of them spending five minutes in the box.

Charles-Eric Legare scored the first Eagles goal, to tie the game, at 15:16.

Ian Saab took an interference penalty at 15:30 and that would be the last penalty of the period.

The first period ended with a shots on goal total of 13-8 in favour of Cape Breton.

The first half of the period continued the energy of the first. Both teams found it hard to keep the puck in their respective scoring ends for long before it was stolen back. That being said, Justin Hache broke the tie at 8:47 with his rocket of a goal. That brought the score up to 2-1 for the Eagles.

Out of nowhere, Olivier LeBlanc and Clark Bishop erupted into a brawl which ended with LeBlanc landing on top of Bishop. They would be sent off to serve their five minutes while Justin Dickinson was handed a game misconduct and sent off for not clearing the area of a fight. All of this happened at 10:38

Bronson Beaton was sent off at 13:43 to spend some time in the box for slashing while Ian Saab was sent off just over a minute later at 14:56 to serve a hooking penalty.

Shots on goal were at 15-11 Cape Breton in the middle frame.

Justin Dickinson sent the Dogs to the penalty kill at 5:37, as he was sent off for slashing.

Michael Lyle sent the Sea Dogs to a much needed power play at 12:55 as he was sent off for a delay of game penalty.

Saint John had lots of pressure in the final minutes and pulled Alex Fournier in exchange for the extra attacker. Despite getting some chances, they could not beat Honzik.

Cape Breton took one last penalty at the buzzer as Bryce Milson was called for high sticking.

With that the game was over and Cape Breton took the win by score of 2-1.

Total shots on goal for the game were 37-26 in favour of the Eagles.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs return home on Saturday to take on the Sherbrooke Phoenix in their first match at the Station. Puck drops at 7:00 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment