Here’s John Moore video of the dustup that ended last Friday’s game in Halifax between the Sea Dogs and Mooseheads. Note the move Sebastien Auger makes at the top of the screen around the 49 second mark to get around the official. Auger and Moose goaltender Kevin Darveau had to be separated (cool photo here).
Some other news and notes…
- Saint John’s 19 wins this season is the second fewest in team history. The 15 they had in 2005-06 is the fewest. The 43 points they earned this year ties them with the 2006-07 team for the second fewest. It’s worth noting that the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons featured 70 games scheduled, two more games than 2013-14.
- The Sea Dogs scored 165 goals this season which is the fewest in team history. They had 173 last season and 174 in 2005-06. It’s pretty obvious that the team needs to add some more skill to its roster this off-season.
- On News 88.9 this morning, Tim Roszell confirmed that import Jurij Repe would not be back next season as an overage defenseman. Right now, it appears the Sea Dogs’ trio of overages this fall will be Sebastien Auger, Michael Abbott, and Stephen Anderson and the team will use both of their picks in the CHL Import Draft.
- Reports say there was noticeable applause for Boston area native Charlie Coyle at TD Garden on Monday. A ton of his family and friends were in attendance. He was named third star in Minnesota’s 4-1 loss to the Bruins.
- Tomas Jurco could miss a month with a broken rib. The Red Wings are broken right now, man.
- On a random note, Felix Schutz is having a good year in the KHL. He sits 19th in league scoring with 16 goals and 38 points in 54 games with Admiral Vladivostok.
- TSN legend Vic Rauter has been making regular mentions of the Sea Dogs during the Ford World Women’s Curling Championship broadcast from Harbour Station.
- Pierre McGuire referred to Saint John as “St. John’s” on NBC Sports Network the other day. Very unlike Pierre.
- Not really sure why, but Game 1 of the Islanders/Mooseheads series will be on Sportsnet Friday night at 8pm. Probably going to be a blowout.
- Agent Allan Walsh tweeted the following yesterday: “NHL Draft 2015 Top Prospect: Congrats to Saint John (QMJHL) forward Nathan Noel on a fantastic rookie season. 63 GP, 16G+23A, 39 Pts.” I wonder who Noel’s agent is?