BATHURST – The Saint John Sea Dogs were able to pick up the 3-2 victory over the Acadie-Bathurst Titan on Wednesday night at the KC Irving Regional Centre, extending their winning streak to eight straight games.
The victory wrapped up five-game road stretch through the Maritimes for the Sea Dogs. They won all five matches.
Goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Simon Bourque, Spencer Smallman and Jakub Zboril. Callum Booth was outstanding in net, stopping 34 shots.
Replying for the Titan were Jeffrey Truchon-Viel and Daniil Miromanov. Taking the loss in net, despite a strong performance, was Anthony Dumont-Bouchard, who made 29 saves.
To the notes…
- The Sea Dogs would get on the board first with a power play marker at 4:40 of the opening period when Bourque fired a wrist shot past Dumont-Bouchard.
- The Titan would even things up at 1-1 during a five-on-three power play at 11:25 when Truchon-Viel tapped home a loose puck past Booth.
- Sea Dogs captain Smallman jumped on a rebound and put it past Dumont-Bouchard at 19:18 of the opening frame, giving the Sea Dogs a 2-1 lead.
- Zboril gave Saint John their first two goal lead of the night just 29 seconds into the third, firing a shot past the Titan netminder.
- Miromanov would reply for the Titan at 2:20, redirecting a pass and beating Booth. That would close the gap to 3-2 but the Titan would get no closer.
- Mathieu Joseph extended his franchise record point streak to 27 games with an assist on Zboril’s game-winning goal.
- Julien Gauthier picked up the 100th assist of his career QMJHL.
- Zboril has goals in three straight game and points in six straight.
The Sea Dogs were without Samuel Leblanc, David Comeau, Matt Green, Landon Quinney and John Warren.
Jakub Zboril finishing off a feed from Mathieu Joseph to give the Sea Dogs a two-goal lead - at the time - early in the third period. That would eventually be the game-winning goal.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Callum Booth
2. Julien Gauthier
3. Jeffrey Truchon-Viel
TWEET OF THE GAME
NEXT GAMEIn the SJSD-Titan game tonight: 14 penalties in the first 2 periods and zero in the 3rd. SeaDogs win 3-2. Painful game to watch.— Sunaya Sapurji (@sunayas) February 9, 2017
The Sea Dogs return to Harbour Station this Friday night to face the Drummondville Voltigeurs. Game time is 7 p.m.