The Sea Dogs allowed just 22 shots on goal and Callum Booth stopped all of them in a 2-0 win over the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada at the Arena With A Really Long Name. The victory gives Saint John a 3-0 lead in the series and puts them one win away from a President Cup title.
Both teams put on defensive displays in this game. Shots on goal were just 22-19 in favour of Blainville-Boisbriand while dangerous shots favoured the Dogs at 11-7.
Samuel Dove-McFalls, who moved up to Saint John's second line to replace the suspended Julien Gauthier, scored what proved to be the game-winner midway through the second period. He added an empty net goal late in the third to secure the victory.
It was the second straight shutout for Booth and his fourth of the post-season. Armada goaltender Samuel Montembeault, although not tested a whole lot, was named third star for his 17-save performance.
To the notes...
- Saint John's fourth line had the first quality scoring chance of the game when Kyle Ward fired a quick shot from the slot that was stopped by the arm of Montembeault.
- There weren't a whole lot of scoring chances for either side in a closely fought first period.
- Pierre-Luc Dubois took two minor penalties in the opening frame.
- Shortly after killing off an Armada power play, Dove-McFalls opened the scoring at 12:28 of the second. Mathieu Joseph entered the zone, put on the brakes and fed a streaking Dove-McFalls in the slot. The Philadelphia Flyers prospect wired a wrist shot past Montembeault's glove to make it 1-0 Saint John.
- Miguel Picard had the Armada's first good scoring chance in forever near the 12-minute mark of the third, beating Booth but not the post.
- The Armada were able to apply some strong offensive pressure in the final minutes of the third period, but could only get a few good shots on net.
- At 19:44, Dove-McFalls secured the win with an empty net goal.
- Samuel Leblanc drew back into the Saint John lineup and was on the team's fourth line.
- Joel Teasdale, who was the victim of the Gauthier hit on Saturday, did not play. He is out with a reported concussion.
- According to Tim Roszell, Cole Reginato broke a skate blade just before the start of the second period.
- The Armada are now 0/13 on the power play in this series.
- Dubois was held off the scoresheet for a third straight game.
- Great atmosphere in Boisbriand. The place can get loud.
Samuel Dove-McFalls moves up to the second line. Tonight's #SJSeaDogs lineup, brought to you by @CantrburyDental. #AlwaysWearYourMouthGuard pic.twitter.com/W3oF3xGsKt— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) May 9, 2017
The Sea Dogs were without defencemen Oliver Felixson, Ian Smallwood, and David Comeau along with forwards Julien Gauthier and Landon Quinney.
Samuel Dove-McFalls' second period goal.
SN THREE STARS
1. Thomas Chabot for never leaving the ice
2. Callum Booth for not allowing any goals
3. Samuel Dove-McFalls for scoring goals
TWEET OF THE GAME
These ice time numbers are crazy.
NEXT GAMEChrono final pour @ThomasChabot1— Stephane Leroux (@StephRDSJunior) May 10, 2017
1-11 min 32
2-12 min 41
3-12 min 18
Total : 36 min 31 sec / une passe et +1 - 1re etoile #SeaDogs
Game 4 of the President Cup Final takes place tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m. in Boisbriand. The game can be seen on Sportsnet 360.