Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Premier Gallant suffered concussion at Sea Dogs practice

New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant suffered a concussion at a Saint John Sea Dogs practice in May. The Telegraph-Journal first reported the news this morning (paywall).

Gallant has been scaling back public appearances while recovering from the concussion.

The practice took place at the qplex ahead of Saint John's President Cup final series against the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada. Gallant tweeted a photo of him with the team on May 11.
Here is the full statement from the Premier's office:

While playing hockey with the Saint John Seadogs I fell and suffered a concussion. My only symptom following the incident was a headache. For the first few weeks after I fell, I avoided looking at screens and trimmed down my schedule to a few events each week to be able to take time to recover. Although the headache initially abated, after I attended public events my headache would reoccur. We then scaled back my public events significantly to avoid any reoccurrence, reduced the number of meetings I had been scheduled to attend, and limited the time I had to spend focussed on screens. 
For the past several days, I have been symptom free. With the concurrence of my doctor, I am gradually adding more things to my schedule. I appreciate the messages of support and good wishes I received from those who were aware of my injury. I have learned valuable insight from this incident – take care of your health and don’t try to keep up with highly skilled 20 year old hockey players.

Gallant has been a frequent visitor at Sea Dogs games and events since taking office in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment