The Sea Dogs opened Rookie Camp on Wednesday with a pair of scrimmages.
I checked in on the second game of the day on Wednesday afternoon which Team Blue, coached by former Sea Dogs netminder Karel St. Laurent, took by score of 4-2.
Picking up the goals for Team Blue were Isiah Campbell, Justin Hryckowian, Alexis Lyonnais, and Kevin Mason. Scoring for Team White were Josh MacDonald and Justin Lush.
Goaltenders on Wednesday were Stewart Bagnell and Joel Goguen for Team White while Andrew MacLeod tended the nets for Team Blue.
As expected, the returning players from last year's camp were impressive - the most notable being Campbell, whose large frame made him easy to spot.
Team Blue Goals
- Campbell scored a nice goal after using his large frame to take the puck hard to the net before turning and firing a low shot past the netminder.
- Hryckowian benefitted from a solid effort by Jeremie Jacob. Taking the puck around the net and putting a nice shot on goal, Jacob left a tap in for Hryckowian at the side of the net.
- Lyonnais was able to use his wheels to pull away from the defender. He made no mistake with a nice hard wrist shot for his goal.
- Kevin Mason was awarded a penalty/penalty shot and simply skated straight in and fired a hard wrist shot past the Team White netminder.
- Lush scored the first goal of the day for Team White, jumping on a loose puck in the high slot and throwing a quick wrist shot past MacLeod.
- MacDonald had a nice goal, skating in tight on MacLeod and firing a nice shot right into the top corner.
- Overall there weren’t a ton of scoring chances from either side throughout the day.
- No doubt several players were feeling a bit of the jitters as they wore the Sea Dogs jersey for the first time.
- Unlike last year these players are battling for what could be several open spots thanks to the young Sea Dogs beginning their rebuilding phase.
- Saint John's online roster has been updated with a few new additions, according to the QMJHL website. They are:
- Kevin Gursoy - C - 5’10” 175lbs - Born ‘99 from Windsor, ON
- Braedyn Aubin - C - 5’11” 207lbs - Born ‘98 from McLennan, AB
- Brock Perry - LW - 6’4” 194lbs - Born ‘98 from Sarnia, ON
- Samuel Duchense - D - 6’2” 175lbs - Born ‘99 from Brampton, ON
- Bennett Lawrick - D - 6’4” 197lbs - Born ‘99 from Mississauga, ON