Friday, September 8, 2017

Dixon officially named head coach

SAINT JOHN - The Saint John Sea Dogs officially named Josh Dixon the team's new head coach on Friday morning.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for me,” Dixon said in a press release. “I’m grateful to Mr. McCain, Trevor Georgie and the board of directors for giving me this chance. I’m also grateful to my wife and family for allowing me to pursue my goal and my dream job, and to J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson at CAA for helping prepare me.

“I’m looking forward to continuing the tradition of excellence and empowerment that the Sea Dogs have been known for throughout their history.”

Dixon has spent the past couple years with the CAA sports agency, acting as director of player development.

The Oakville, Ont. native previously spent four seasons with the Western Hockey League's Swift Current Broncos as an associate coach and was an assistant coach with the Regina Pats from 2011-14. He's also worked as an assistant coach at a few Canadian universities.

Dixon replaces Danny Flynn, who left the team earlier this summer to pursue other opportunities. Flynn has since joined the Portland Winterhawks coaching staff.

Jeff Cowan has been leading the team throughout training camp. The Sea Dogs announced on Friday that Cowan, who has been an assistant coach for several years now, has been promoted to associate coach.

The Sea Dogs still have a vacant assistant coaching position.

Dixon will presumably be behind the bench this Thursday when the Sea Dogs host the Moncton Wildcats at Fredericton's Aitken Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment